Coffeen & Sioux Coal-Fired Power Plants
AmerenUE is constructing wet flue gas desulfurization retrofits on two of their coal-fired power plants, and we provided certified welding inspection services at the fabrication shops and job sites.
Coal-fired power plants utilize limestone material-handling systems with new effluent stacks. We provided services to verify weld quality of carbon steel ductwork and absorbers tanks including:
- Shearweave ultrasonics
- Magnetic particle non-destructive testing
- Writing weld procedures
- Tracking welder certifications
- Updating isometric piping drawings
- Oversight of slip form construction of 450-foot emission chimneys
- Temperature monitoring for mat foundation concrete & verification of reinforcing steel
- SUE Quality Levels D, C, B and A
Electromagnetic terrain conductivity surveying was also used to locate previously unknown buried utilities. Suspected utilities, including a large electrical duct bank, were located using ground-penetrating radar (GPR), radio detection and magnetic methods. The locations and depths were verified by performing vacuum excavation. Additionally, our team members observed the installation and conducted Pile Integrity Testing (PIT) on approximately 600 augercast piles to support the fan, duct support and utility-rack foundations at the Coffeen & Sioux Coal-Fired Power Plant.