Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)
Owner: Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)
Location: Various locations throughout Southwestern Illinois
Services: Geotechnical, Geophysics, Drilling, Environmental, Construction Materials Testing, Soils & Materials Testing
Geotechnology, Inc. has provided geotechnical engineering, drilling, geophysics, construction observation and materials testing, and environmental engineering services on a significant number of road and bridge projects. Services have included:
- Drilling, sampling, laboratory testing, and engineering analyses to develop foundation and site design parameters for proposed roadway alignments, new and existing bridge structures, renovation and repair of existing pavements, new asphalt and concrete pavements, and seismic retrofit evaluations of existing bridge structures.
- Subsurface Utility Engineering Quality Levels D, C, B and A including record searches, site reconnaissance, geophysical surveys, and vacuum excavation (a drilling technique using high pressure air and vacuum to remove soil without harming subsurface structures), all combined with land surveying, and GIS to produce a final map depicting locations of identified utilities.
- Geophysical surveys and analyses related to proposed roadway alignment geology, structural condition of existing bridge support systems, bridge subsidence investigations and analyses, and investigation of pavement subgrade systems.
- Materials testing services for new and existing asphalt and concrete pavement, including concrete and asphaltic concrete mix design; Superpave mix design, verification of aggregate quality and compaction testing; slump and air content testing; compressive strength testing of samples; flexural strength testing of beams and structural components; testing of welded and bolted connections; foundation construction observation and testing, including Pile Dynamic Analyses™ (PDA) testing of steel H-piles, Pile Integrity testing of cast-in-place augercast piles, static load tests to determine actual load stresses and/or coordinate PDA test results; cross-hole sonic logging, TV camera inspections, and contract drilling of drilled shafts; and developing temperature models to predict temperature variations on main bridge cast-in-place elements in order to control cracking.
- Environmental assessments, asbestos surveys, and underground storage tank management related to proposed roadway alignments.
Geotechnology, Inc. has provided these and related services for numerous municipalities, cities and counties, as well as for State agencies and the Federal Highway Administration interstate highway system. This includes projects in the Illinois counties of St. Clair and Madison in the Metro East St. Louis area.
A sampling of projects performed for IDOT include: