St. Louis Zoo’ Sea Lion Sound
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Client: Alberici Constructors
Owner: Saint Louis Zoological Park Commission & Saint Louis Zoo Association
Services: Geotechnical, Construction Observation, Materials Testing, Special Inspections
Geotechnology provided subsurface exploration and recommendations for the design and construction of the geotechnical features for the new Sea Lion Sound. This newest addition to the St. Louis Zoo includes an exhibit pool, terraced seating and an outdoor theatre, life support tanks and a docent building. Subsurface exploration services included drilling, on-site logging by a staff geologist or engineer soil sampling, laboratory testing and geotechnical evaluation. During construction we provided engineering consultation, Special Inspections, observation, and materials testing services.
- Observations during stone column installation
- Earthwork observations and compaction testing
- Footing excavation observations
- Reinforcing steel inspections
- Masonry (CMU) wall inspections and testing
- Concrete testing
- Observing proof rolling for floor slab and pavement areas
- Observations of welded and bolted connections of structural steel
This is one of many projects Geotechnology has had the privilege of working on at the Zoo.