Walnut Grove Road Improvement
Location: Shelby County, Tennessee
Services: Construction Materials Testing
We were tasked with geotechnical investigation, a site-specific seismic study, reviewing retaining wall design and construction-phase testing for 1.1 miles of road reconstruction.
We performed the geotechnical investigation for the $36 million road modification project extending from I-240 to Wolf River. The project featured road improvements including the addition of three new lanes in each direction and two new bridges, including one single point interchange.
During the geotechnical investigation phase, the team’s responsibilities included:
- Conducting a full-scale geotechnical investigation
- Deep foundation recommendations
- Pavement recommendations
- Site preparation recommendations
The team continued participation with construction testing services, including:
- Review of the reinforced earth retaining wall design
- Performing compaction (field density) tests in the field
- Sampling and testing concrete
- Performing various construction-related laboratory tests
- Attending weekly meetings and performing general geotechnical-related duties